Gustavus Adolphus College’s Anderson Hall celebrates LEED Gold certification
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. (March 2018) – The extensive renovation of Arthur H. Anderson Hall on the campus of Gustavus Adolphus College has been awarded the prestigious LEED Gold certification from the USGBC (U.S. Green Building Council). The achievement recognizes projects that are designed, constructed and operated for improved environmental and human health performance.
The 27,465-square-foot project was constructed in 2016 by Kraus-Anderson and designed by BWBR. Anderson Hall houses Gustavus’ Department of Education, Center for Academic Resources and Enhancement, Writing Center, John S. Kendall Center for Engaged Learning and Bonnier Multifaith Center. The renovation of the 70-year-old academic center provides spaces for education, advising and faith exploration, as well as, a three-story open gathering space to encourage collaboration and group work for students and faculty.
Located on the college’s main academic mall, the historic Kasota stone building opened in 1948 and originally served as the Gustavus library. It was renamed A.H. Anderson Hall in 1973 and became the home of the social sciences until 2011.
To earn the elite LEED Gold award, buildings must demonstrate performance standards that include sustainable site developments, water savings, waste management, energy efficiency, materials selection and indoor environmental quality.
Some of the strategies used to earn Anderson Hall’s LEED status feature selecting low-emitting materials, implementing green cleaning and equipment policies, and achieving energy cost savings of nearly 40 percent below baseline.
The multifaith center includes low-flow water fixtures, as well as daylighting strategies to enhance education practices and building performance without sacrificing privacy. The building structure was 91 percent reused, including much of the original Mankato-based limestone, and over 95 percent of the construction waste was recycled. In addition, the project featured new boilers, which replaced Anderson Hall’s original heating system that was previously connected to a campus-wide steam system that runs through tunnels.
A natural connection to the community, the walkable site is covered with draught-resistant native plants.
Kraus-Anderson’s partnership with Gustavus stretches over 40 years and includes the campus reconstruction after the 1998 tornado and recent projects such as Beck Academic Hall, which received LEED Platinum certification. In January 2018, KA began construction on the $70 million, 177,300-square-foot expansion and renovation of the Nobel Hall of Science, which is expected to be completed in 2020.
Established in 1897, Kraus-Anderson® Construction Company (www.krausanderson.com) is one of the nation’s premier commercial general contractors and construction managers. Kraus-Anderson, an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, is headquartered in Minneapolis, Minn. and has regional offices in Madison, Wis., Bismarck, N.D., and Duluth, Bemidji and Rochester Minn.
With nearly 40 LEED accredited professionals currently working at BWBR, the firm is one of the leading advocates for sustainable performance design, incorporating green design strategies into complex environments like academic facilities, R&D centers, and hospitals.