- The Company
- What We Do
July 21, 2011
Kraus-Anderson Earns Top National GSA Construction Award for U.S. Land Port of Entry
Warroad, Minn. “Front Door to America” project built to LEED Silver standards
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. – Kraus-Anderson Construction Company (KA), one of the Midwest’s oldest and largest commercial general contractors and construction managers, has earned a national Government Services Administration’s (GSA) “Design Award for Construction” for its work on the U.S. Land Port of Entry, located in Warroad, Minn. KA was the construction manager for the project.
The U.S. Land Port of Entry in Warroad, Minnesota was the most-honored project of the 2010 GSA Design Awards, and the only project to earn a Construction Citation. Eleven projects nationwide were selected for award recognition from a field of 115 entries. The award presentation took place January 20, 2011 in Washington, D.C.
The U.S. Land Port of Entry project also earned Honor Awards in architecture and engineering, as well as citations in construction, interior design and landscape architecture. The award cited KA for its leadership on the complex project, which met or exceeded all goals for security, efficiency, timeliness, budget, sustainability and aesthetics. KA was also recognized for providing creativity and collaboration from pre-construction to a timely completion; for successfully addressing challenges that included a remote wetland site; and for rarely encountering geographic hurdles. KA worked collaboratively with the other team members recognized by the GSA in five award categories, including Julie Snow Architects; engineering firms Jacobs Engineering Group, Key Engineering, Meyer Borgman Johnson, and Sebesta Blomberg; and landscape architect Coen + Partners.
The biennial GSA Design Awards celebrate the best federal civilian workplaces, including land ports of entry, federal courthouses, and office buildings. The winners are selected by a jury of private sector design and building professionals.
The U.S. Land Port of Entry — “Front Door to America” — serves approximately 9,234 square miles of the Canada/U.S. border. Owned by the GSA, the 40,108-square-foot facility replaces a smaller, outdated structure (built in 1962) with a smart, sustainable design making abundant use of natural materials, including cedar, slate and complementary indigenous plants and grasses. The building’s features, constructed according to LEED Silver standards, carefully balance function with deliberate environmental efficiencies, including a geothermal heating system and light collectors.
“The new border station consists of a multi-lane drive-thru canopy with security stations, commercial vehicle inspection building and private-owner vehicle inspection building,” said Duane Kaiser, project manager for Kraus-Anderson. “It also houses an indoor firing range, an office and storage facilities.”
More than 157,000 cars and trucks are annually processed by Warroad Customs, which is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Construction began in June of 2008 and was completed in May of 2010.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection states the patrol station was established soon after 1924 and maintained a compliment of three agents until World War II. During the war the station was closed and the border was manned by multiple stations in surrounding towns. These stations were deactivated in 1955 and once again the Warroad Station was opened.
If you would like to receive our newsletter, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.